It’s been awhile since I’ve had a DIY post on the site. Things have been a little hectic and it has been about 100 degrees with 100% humidity for the past month in NC which is not great project weather. But here I am, with a finished DIY project for you! I’m REALLY excited to share our laundry room makeover with you all. After all of the projects in our home in the past 6 months we wanted to work on something that was easy on the budget but had a big impact on our home. With that in mind, we looked at some of laundry room ideas we’d pinned and estimated that we could update our laundry room for a couple hundred bucks.
Here is a picture of our laundry room before the makeover:
Sorry, I didn’t have a photo of the room before I started testing paint colors. I really have to get better at this whole taking pictures of projects thing if I plan to keep blogging. As you can see, we have the standard wire rack above the washer and dryer, put in by the builders. I really wanted cabinets but I also still really wanted to have a place to hang clothes. My hunt began by stalking every Habitat for Humanity Restore in my area to find two matching cabinets that would fit above our washer and dryer and leave room for hanging clothes. On my third trip I found cabinets for $35 each. I brought them home, washed them down, and did a little touch up painting.
I also went and bought some new cabinet hardware to update the look of the cabinets. Once we had the cabinets, I felt motivated to really dive into the project. I purchased a few paint samples from my local Lowes Home Improvement store. We decided to go with Sherwin Williams Blue Jasmine.
Before I could paint, I needed to take the wire rack down. Easier said than done folks. Lucky for me, Jess and google came to the rescue and we were able to remove the shelf. Removing the actual shelf was no problem, but the anchors were held in with these metal pegs and drywall screws that did not want to come out. You had to pry the peg loose with a screwdriver then use pliers to pull it out. Then you could pull out the plastic piece as well. This left monster holes in our wall so Jess patched those up with a general wall patch kit.
After letting the spackle dry, we sanded it down flat and I was able to paint.
Bye bye dull greyish-beige walls! My mom also helped me paint because she’s a rockstar.
After painting it was time to hang cabinets. I enlisted the help of my handy wife for this project (plus, hanging cabinets really is a two-lady job!). First we hung a ledger board where we wanted the base of our cabinets to hit. This helps keep everything level- which means when you’re hanging the ledger board, do it with a level! You’ll then want to use a stud finder and locate the studs in the wall and mark those. This is where you’ll want to screw in the cabinets so they are secure. Your local home improvement store will sell cabinet screws. Yes, cabinets have their very own screws. It’s amazing, really, how many things have their own identified hardware. Hanging cabinets was easier than I thought it would be- but that might be because we only hung two.
After hanging the cabinets, our awesome neighbor brought over an old steel rod she had never used which was perfect to do our hanging rack. Jess used her drill and a spade bit to drill holes in the side of the cabinet and then inserted the hanging rod.
The final big piece of the laundry room was the counter for on top of the washer and dryer. How many of you fold your clothes and pile them up on top of the washer and dryer? I do. I’m also guilty of letting them sit there for days… and sometimes when the piles reach their limit they topple and inevitably something ends up falling behind the washer or dryer and I’m left climbing on top of the machine and trying any way possible to retrieve these items. It is the absolute worst. So I told Jess I wanted a counter over the washer and dryer to eliminate my problem.
We took our measurements and headed off to Lowes to purchase some wood. Jess even let me buy the slightly nicer wood! I’m spoiled. Jess put this counter together using pocket screws the way you’d create a farmhouse table top. After putting it together she sanded it down well with a power sander and stained it. After the stain dried we added about 3 coats of polyurethane to seal the counter. Getting this bad boy in was a bit of a beast (which included torn up walls that required patching and repainting) but it was a snug fit and if you’ve been paying attention thats a good thing because it means no lost socks behind the dryer. We didn’t just lay the counter on top of the washer/dryer. We attached 2×2’s around the wall for the tabletop to sit on.
I had one last small project for the room involved an old ladder I found at a thrift store. I picked it up for $10, added a little paint and picked up a 6-pack of metal hooks for $7. After attaching the hooks, I hung the ladder horizontally on the wall and added some mason jars to collect loose change, store clothespins, and hopefully NOT for storing ink pens that are left in clothes. To finish off the room I picked up a rug from Target to add a little color and a laundry sign from Hobby Lobby.
Overall I’m so pleased with the way this turned out! I think it will make my weekly laundry routine much more pleasant.
As always, thank you for reading and make good choices!